Monday, April 11, 2011

Smoothie Recipe: Creamsicle Dream

I find that I get really bored with breakfast sometime so I'm always up for new things. My current obsession is an English Muffin (light) with 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter and bananas sliced on top.  It's delicious and keeps me full until lunch. 

However, I came across a recipe for an "Orange Creamsicle Smoothie" and being a huge fan of Push Up Pops - I had to give it a try.  The first time I made it I didn't have any orange juice concentrate so I just used orange juice.  While delicious, it was not as thick as I was hoping.  So, I picked up some orange juice concentrate and tried it again, along w/ some Vanilla Whey Protein.  This time the texture was much better.  However, I believe the Vanilla Whey Protein and Vanilla yogurt over powered the orange juice concentrate.  So, I'm going to pick up some Yoplait Light Orange Cream yogurt and use it in place of the vanilla.  I think this will be the perfect combination!!While it is not necessarily carb friendly, it is pretty low calorie for a breakfast and full of protein!

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

Ingredients:
 
1 cup milk (skim or 1% is best for lower calories)
1 (6-ounce) container low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup calcium-fortified frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 ice cubes 
Instructions 1. Combine milk, yogurt, orange juice concentrate and vanilla extract in blender. Blend 15 seconds to combine ingredients. Add ice cubes and blend about 20 seconds to crush ice. Serve immediately. Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment